Welcome to Kitchener Physiotherapy & Wellness Blogs,
ESWT/ Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy/ Shockwave Therapy
Extracorporeal means outside body
Shockwave means extraordinary, short vitality wave travelling quicker than speed of sound, They create well-controlled mechanical insult to tissue. Originally this technology indicated to breaks kidney stone, nowadays widely used to treat musculoskeletal Issues.
How does it work?
- Neovascularization and Healing:Shockwave creates mechanical pressure which increases cell membrane permeability. Acoustic waves cause small capillaries in tissue to rupture, which increases growth factors to the injured area. Hence creating neovascularization or new blood supply which brings more oxygen, hence stimulates fibroblast for connective tissue healing.
- Breaks Calcification and heel spurs:Acoustic wave also destroys calcifications and stimulates osteoblasts for healing and new bone production.
- Pain Relief: Acoustic waves creates hyperstimulation, thus anaesthesia. It also blocks pain to travel to brain by blocking gate control.
- Reduces Muscle tone and tightness
Conditions we treat with Shockwave therapy:
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Heels Spur
- Achilles Tendinopathy/ Achillodynia
- Epicondylitis (Tennis elbow and Golfers Elbow)
- Calcific Tendinopathy/Calcified tendinitis/Calcific tendonitis of the Shoulder
- Patellar Tendinopathy/ Runner knee/ Jumpers’ knee
- Post-Traumatic Myositis Ossificans
- Deep back pain / lumbago
- Trochanteric bursitis
- Non-Union Fractures
- Trigger Points Therapy
- Frozen Shoulder
- Dupuytren's Contracture
- DeQuervain Syndrome
- Acute Muscle Spasm
- Muscle Strain
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Sacroiliac Joint Pain
- Tibial Edge Syndrome
- Posterior Compartmental Syndrome
- And more...
Kitchener Physiotherapy & Wellness provides services for physiotherapy in Kitchener.
Please call Kitchener Physiotherapy and Wellness at 226-215-3114.